A public entity is any of the following:
- an individual donor,
- a representative of a registered company providing donations,
- a representative of a non-registered organisation providing donations,
- a representative of a broadcaster or publisher providing advertising services relating to an election,
- a non-political individual incurring political expenditure and receiving gifts to allow that expenditure, or
- a representative of a non-political organisation incurring political expenditure and receiving gifts to allow that expenditure.
To register as one of these entities, from the EDS homepage (https://disclosures.ecq.qld.gov.au/) click on ‘Register Now’.
Choose a unique username, then fill in your first name, last name, email address and password. Note that your username cannot contain spaces, and your password must contain a minimum of 8 characters and at least 1 Upper Case Alphabet, 1 Lower Case Alphabet, 1 Number and 1 Special Character. The system will let you know if the password does not meet these requirements.
You will then be presented with two tick boxes:
- Silent Elector: If you are registered with the Australian Electoral Commission (AEC) as a silent elector, tick the box next to the statement. This will ensure that your address is not viewable by the public. ECQ will investigate your affirmation and contact you if required to confirm your status as a registered silent elector.
- Prohibited Donors: Before you can register for EDS, you must understand that giving or receiving of political donations unlawful.
Once you have made your selection(s), click the ‘Register’ button.
Confirm your Registration
For security purposes, you will be required to confirm your new account. Soon after clicking the ‘Register’ button, you will be sent an email to your chosen email address. Click the link in this email to confirm your registration; you will then be taken to the My Profile page (refer below).
The next time you log in to the system, a pop-up box will appear asking you to confirm what type of user you are. The options are Individual (Third Party), Organisation, Associated Entity, Broadcaster and Publisher. Select the correct one to continue.
The My Profile page is where you enter specific details that enable EDS to determine which user type you are, match donors to recipients, and pre-fill returns that you submit. You can access this page from elsewhere on the site at any time by clicking your name in the top right corner, then ‘Profile’.
On your profile page, you can add or edit your name and address. You must provide a valid address to lodge a return.
On your main profile page, select Australian Street Address or Australian PO Box, then fill in all the blank fields. Click ‘Save’ to save the address. Note that this is the address that will be used by EDS as part of your identification and to match donors to recipients in gift returns. Ensure it is correct, and that this is the exact address you provide to the other entity when donating or receiving gifts.
The account section of your profile page allows you to change your account details. Note that your User Name is not editable, so the box is greyed out.
To change your email address, insert your new email address in the ‘email’ and ‘confirm email’ fields, then press Save.
To change your password, click the ‘Change Password’ button. You will be required to enter your current password, then new password in two places to ensure you did not make an error. Then click ‘Change password’ again to confirm the change. The password rules are the same as when you initially registered.
You are also encouraged to enter a contact phone number. ECQ will only use this number as allowed by legislation. Your number will not be sold or provided to non-ECQ persons.
If you have a mobile phone, you can also set up two factor authentication, which adds an extra layer of security to your account. It requires a single-use passcode to be entered as well as your password when you log in. The passcode is sent to a nominated mobile phone number as an SMS, each time you log in.
Click the ‘Setup’ button to begin the authentication set up. Enter your chosen mobile phone number then click ‘Send verification code’.