Only non-political entities classified as Third Parties by the Local Government Electoral Act 2011, and that have received gifts used to incur expenditure for political activity, need to complete these returns.
Click the ‘Add new item’ button to add an expenditure gift to your Return. The only option you will see is Expenditure for Political Activity – click to select it. A list of fields will appear for you to fill in.
The red asterisk next to a field name indicates a field that must be completed before you are able to submit the disclosure. Fill in the fields as follows:
- Supplier name: The name of the entity on whom the expenditure was paid – e.g. publisher, broadcaster, hardware store or any other type of service or product supplier. When you begin typing in this field, a list of potential matches will appear. Select the relevant name from the list, or fill in the details yourself.
- Street/Postcode/Suburb/State: This is the address of the supplier and will be automatically populated from the name you select if already in the system. Otherwise, enter the correct address.
- Amount: The amount in monetary terms that was paid to the supplier of the goods or service. This must be in $AUD and include GST where appropriate.
- Description & purpose of expenditure: Insert full details of the expenditure, including beneficiary as applicable. E.g. 5000 flyers for Candidate Smith's local election campaign.
- Date of expenditure: The date that the expenditure was incurred. Click on the field to bring up a calendar view, then select the relevant date.
Options for submitting
When you have filled in the form, you have a number of options.
1. Add more items – click on the ‘Add new item’ button again to add a new item to the return.
2. Delete item - you can delete items from the list at any point by clicking on the X icon in the top right corner of the gift type box.
3. Save the return as a Draft – this will save the complete return with all details entered so far as a draft. You will be able to go back into your return later (from the Drafts page) and make additional entries or amendments as required before either re-saving as a draft or submitting it. If you have a secretarial role in EDS, this is how you save the return for later review and submission by the authorised submitter, e.g. the party agent.
4. Submit – when you are ready to submit your return, click the ‘Submit’ button. You will be asked to confirm lodgement of your return. Read the information and click ‘Submit’ if you can confirm the statements, and 'Cancel' if you need to make additional changes before submitting.
5. Incomplete returns - if your return is incomplete, you will be notified of such and given the opportunity to complete the missing information. Under certain circumstances incomplete returns may be submitted to ECQ. If you wish to submit the return incomplete, you will be asked to provide a reason. ECQ will assess that reason against legislation and ECQ policy, and may contact you for additional information.