As a Third Party, report a gift received, which enabled political expenditure as outlined in the Local Government Electoral Act 2011 section 125 or the Electoral Act 1992 section 263.
Filling in the form
Click the ‘Add new gift’ button to add a gift to your return. You can select the following gift type:
- Fundraising – an amount received as a contribution, entry fee or other payment to participate in, or otherwise obtain a benefit, from a fundraising event.
- Gift - provision of money
- Gift in Kind - provision of non-monetary service or assistance (other than volunteer labour), e.g. loan of equipment, free rent.
- Other - Provision of any other gift or fee that does not appear to meet one of the descriptions above.
Fill in the fields as follows, noting that a red asterisk next to the field name indicates it must be completed before you are able to submit the return:
- Name of contributor: The name of the person or organisation that made the contribution. When you begin typing in this field, a list of potential matches will appear. Select the relevant name from the list if applicable; if you do, the icon to the right of the field will change from ‘unlinked’ to ‘linked’. If the name is not already in the list, you can type it in.
- Donor's name: The name of the entity that has give a gift to you. When you begin typing in this field, a list of potential matches will appear. Select the relevant name from the list. The icon to the right of the field will change from 'unlinked' to 'linked'. If the name is not already in the list, you can type it in.
- Street/Postcode/Suburb/State: This is the address of the donor and will be automatically populated from the name you select, if already in the system. If you are the first to enter the name you may need to complete the address.
- Amount: The amount in monetary terms that was received. This must be in $AUD, and inclusive of GST where appropriate.
- Description of gift received: Was it monetary, or another form? Describe it here.
- Date contributed/made: The date the gift was contributed. Click on the field to bring up a calendar view, then select the relevant date.
Options for submitting
When you have filled in the form, you have a number of options.
1. Add more gifts – click on the ‘Add new item’ button again to add a new type of gift to the return.
2. Delete item - you can delete items from the list at any point by clicking on the X icon in the top right corner of the gift type box.
3. Save the return as a Draft – this will save the complete return with all details entered so far as a draft. You will be able to go back into your return later (from the Drafts page) and make additional entries or amendments as required before either re-saving as a draft or submitting it. If you have a secretarial role in EDS, this is how you save the return for later review and submission by the authorised submitter, e.g. the party agent.
4. Submit – when you are ready to submit your return, click the ‘Submit’ button. You will be asked to confirm lodgement of your return. Read the information and click ‘Submit’ if you can confirm the statements, and 'Cancel' if you need to make additional changes before submitting.
5. Incomplete returns - if your return is incomplete, you will be notified of such and given the opportunity to complete the missing information. Under certain circumstances incomplete returns may be submitted to ECQ. If you wish to submit the return incomplete, you will be asked to provide a reason. ECQ will assess that reason against legislation and ECQ policy, and may contact you for additional information.