As a representative of an organisation, report a gift that the organisation made, or passed on for someone else, in accordance with the Local Government Act 2011 or the Electoral Act 1992.
Click the 'Lodge' button under 'Organisation - Reporting a gift made' to report a gift made.
Check the fields under 'Your details' are correct. If you are a representative for more than one organisation, you will need to select the relevant organisation for this return from the drop down list. The other fields will then be automatically populated.
Then click the ‘Add new item’ button to add a gift to your return. You will have the option of selecting one of the following gift types:
- Gift – provision of money or uncharged interest on a loan (often referred to as a donation).
- Gift-in-kind – provision of non-monetary service or assistance (other than volunteer labour), e.g. loan of equipment, free rent.
- Fundraising – an amount paid (or received) as a contribution, entry fee or other payment to participate in, or otherwise obtain a benefit, from a fundraising event.
- Other – provision of any other gift or free/below market rate service that does not appear to meet one of the descriptions above.
Click the relevant gift type to open a list of fields relevant to your selection.
Users are referred to the Electoral Act 1992 or Local Government Electoral Act 2011 as applicable for a definition of what is or isn’t a reportable gift.
Filling in the form
Fill in the fields as follows, noting that a red asterisk next to the field name indicates it must be completed before you are able to submit the return:
- Recipient’s name: The name of the entity you have made a gift to. When you begin typing in this field, a list of potential matches will appear. Select the relevant name from the list if applicable; if you do, the icon to the right of the field will change from ‘unlinked’ to ‘linked’. If the name is not already in the list, you can type it in. However, it is very unusual to make a gift to a political entity that is not already registered with ECQ and therefore in EDS; be sure to confirm the recipient’s name is as provided to ECQ when the recipient registered.
- Street/Postcode/Suburb/State: This is the address of the recipient and will be automatically populated from the name you select, if already in the system. If you are the first to enter the name you may need to complete the address.
- Amount: The amount in monetary terms that you donated. This must be in $AUD and inclusive of GST where appropriate. Note that thresholds for reportable gift values apply at both Local and State levels, but these thresholds usually differ. EDS will advise you accordingly if you enter a value below the threshold.
- Description of gift: Was it monetary, or another form? Describe it here. This field may also be used to enter any additional details relevant to the gift.
- Date given: The date that you gave the gift. Click on the field to bring up a calendar view, then select the relevant date.
- Gift passed on: If you are providing this gift on your own behalf, click the ‘No’ box. If you were given this gift by someone else to pass on or donate on their behalf, click the ‘Yes’ box. You will then be required to provide details of the person that first provided the gift, in accordance with legislative requirements.
The fields for fundraising items are slightly different:
- Name of contributor: The name of the person or organisation that made the contribution. When you begin typing in this field, a list of potential matches will appear. Select the relevant name from the list if applicable; if you do, the icon to the right of the field will change from ‘unlinked’ to ‘linked’. If the name is not already in the list, you can type it in.
- Street/Postcode/Suburb/State, Amount and Description of gift received: As above.
- Date contributed: The date the gift was contributed. Click on the field to bring up a calendar view, then select the relevant date.
Options for submitting
When you have filled in the form, you have a number of options.
1. Add more items – of the same type or different. Click on the ‘Add new item’ button again to add a new type of gift to the return.
2. Delete item - you can delete items from the list at any point by clicking on the X icon in the top right corner of the gift type box.
3. Save the return as a Draft – this will save the complete return with all details entered so far as a draft. You will be able to go back into your return later (from the Drafts page) and make additional entries or amendments as required before either re-saving as a draft or submitting it. If you have a secretarial role in EDS, this is how you save the return for later review and submission by the authorised submitter, e.g. the party agent.
4. Submit – when you are ready to submit your return, click the ‘Submit’ button. You will be asked to confirm lodgement of your return. Read the information and click ‘Submit’ if you can confirm the statements, and 'Cancel' if you need to make additional changes before submitting.
5. Incomplete returns - if your return is incomplete, you will be notified of such and given the opportunity to complete the missing information. Under certain circumstances incomplete returns may be submitted to ECQ. If you wish to submit the return incomplete, you will be asked to provide a reason. ECQ will assess that reason against legislation and ECQ policy, and may contact you for additional information.